Monday, November 23, 2015

Developing an Attitude of Grattitude


I haven't always been a thankful and positive person. I grew up in a home with a perfectionist father and highly critical mother. Both followed Christ, but as you might expect, these faults (we all have them) shaped me. It took marriage and a husband who pointed out my negative attitude to make me realize I needed to change my outlook.

I know people who, no matter what good has happened in their lives, only see the bad stuff. They want to pull you down into their mud puddle and make you wallow in their misery with them. Though I pray for them, I try to limit my exposure to them because they are life suckers and not life givers.

What a difference a good attitude makes. Even when bad things happen, if we try to be thankful for what we do have, it can completely change our trajectory. This may sound cheesy, but some days I make myself give thanks as I take my daily walks. Even when it seems like everything is going wrong, I am surprised that I can find good things to show grattitude to God about.

With Thanksgiving only a few days away I felt it appropriate to focus on thankfulness and having a positive attitude. The apostle Paul wrote "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”(Colossians 3:17, NKJV.)

When we work for an audience of one, God, it can make suc a difference in out outlook. Here are a few things I am thankful for. 

For basic liberties that many in other countries don't have:  freedom of speech to express my opion without being censured for it,  the option to run and mange my own business, to go to a church of my choice where I can worship God and participate in discussions without fear

For health. I know so many people who struggle physically. I no longer take this for granted.

For family. A husband, children, and silblings who love me 

For an abundance of food. Even when money is tight, we always have a choice of what we want to eat.

For God's love and continued guidance.  He is a force field in my life. Though I don't always see his presence or feel it, I know he is there and loves me greatly.

What are you thankful for? I'd love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment