Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Christian's Spiritual Quest for Truth

When speaking about our understanding of spiritual matters, the Apostle Paul once said, "For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (1 Corinthians 13:12, NIV).

He compared our human inability to fully understand spiritual matters and God's ways to looking at our own face in a mirror or through a dark piece of glass. The picture isn't nearly as clear as we want it to be. Much of God's design for us and instructions remain obscured, though there are some people who believe they have a clear grasp on all of it. How they can be so self assured when dealing with a spiritual being who is all powerful, all knowing and far beyond our intelligence level I don't know.

Frankly. the older I get, the less sure I feel about what I was raised to believe about God, Jesus, and the Bible. This was all based on what was fed to me through my Southern Baptist and Protestant upbringing. Please don't get me wrong. I haven't lost my faith or commitment to Christ.
I think  a lot of good came from this, but I also believe some really faulty theology has been passed from one generation to the next. Some of these beliefs are a product of our culture, as well as a the off spring of the belief systems and acceptable practices during the life times of the theologians who originated them.

None of these people were perfect, so it stands to reason that not all of their teachings will be in line with what God truly intended for us.

This is my first post on this blog which will be a sounding board for my own faith journey as I take these "pockets" of beliefs and turn them inside out to see what falls out. If I find any faulty coins in them, I'll talk about it here.

I do not have a Masters of Divinity though my husband does, but I am a published author. All of us, despite our education have it within us to study and dig to ferret out the facts.

I am sure there will be plenty of people who disagree with my posts. Some may even call me a heretic and to you I say, "let me be. It's my quest for truth. If you swallow what churches teach without digging in for yourself to find the original meanings and context in which these are written, then, shame on you."

God doesn't mind people wrangling with Him. He won't strike you dead with lightening nor condemn you to hell. In fact earnest dialogue with God is very Jewish and traces back to a very ancient tradition. Abraham, Jacob, David and more all wrangled with God. He is open to it because He wants us to feel comfortable with Him and more than anything, He wants a deep and lasting relationship with Him.

You are welcome to post your thoughts and your own findings as we journey through this quest for truth together.

No comments:

Post a Comment